Help is available towards childcare in the form of Childcare Support.

Depending on the circumstances parents can apply for childcare support under Tax Credits or Universal Credits.

Single parents can apply if they are working and have 1 or more children in childcare with a registered childcare provider.

Both parents can apply as couples if both of them are working and have 1 child or more children in childcare with a registered childcare provider.

Under Tax credits, you can claim a maximum of 70% of your childcare costs. However under Universal Credits you can claim a maximum of 85% of your childcare costs.

Your childcare claim varies depending on the number of children claiming childcare.

Parents with only 1 child under childcare can claim a maximum of £950.92 per month.

Parents with 2 or more children under childcare can claim a maximum of £1630.15 per month.

For further details regarding your childcare claim please contact our manager directly who will be able to assist you in getting the appropriate childcare funding available to you according to your circumstances.


  • For working families claiming Universal Credit, in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland  and Wales
  • With children under 17*
  • Up to 85% of eligible childcare costs
  • Who aren’t receiving Tax-Free Childcare


  • For working families, including the self-employed, in the UK
  • Earning under £100k and an average of £167 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage) each over three months
  • Who aren’t receiving Tax Credits, Universal Credit or childcare vouchers
  • With children aged 0-11 (or 0-16 if disabled)
  • For every £8 you pay into an online account, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child per year


  • For working families, in the UK
  • With children under 16 (or under 17 if disabled)
  • 70% of childcare costs, up to a cap
  • If you cannot make a new claim for Tax Credits, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit instead.

Universal Credit and childcare

You may be able to claim back up to 85% of your childcare costs if you’re eligible for Universal Credit.

This guide is also available in Welsh ( Cymraeg ).

You (and your partner if you live with them) will usually need to either:

  • be working – it does not matter how many hours you or your partner work
  • have a job offer

How much you’ll get

The most you can get back each month is:

  • £950.92 for one child
  • £1,630.15 for 2 or more children

You can claim Universal Credit online.

Tax credits and childcare

If you already claim tax credits, you can add an extra amount of Working Tax Credit to help cover the cost of childcare.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Both of the following must apply:

  • your child is in approved childcare
  • the childcare is provided in-person, not online

If you have a child and you’re already claiming Working Tax Credit, you can also claim Child Tax Credit.

Update your tax credit claim to get help with childcare

Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to update your tax credit claim – you do not need a claim form.

Check what help you could get with childcare costs

Use this calculator to find out how much you could get towards approved childcare,including:

  • free childcare for children aged between 2 and 4
  • help with childcare costs if your child is under 16 (or under 17 and disabled)


Our Childcare Services qualify for Childcare Support for parents depending on the fulfillment of eligibility criteria.